If you have selected Stripe as your payment processor and wish to accept recurring payments through the Donations app, you will first need to create a Product and a Price through the control panel in your Stripe account. These will be used to create a new Subscription in Stripe for the recurring donation. You will need at least one Product and one Price to process recurring donations through Stripe.
To do so:
- Login to Stripe
- Go to Products
- Click "Add product" button
- On the "Product information" page, for Name, enter a name for the product. We suggest something akin to "Online monthly donation".
- For Description, leave blank or enter text of your choose
- For "Pricing model", choose "Standard pricing"
- For "Price", enter "0.01"
- For "Billing period" choose "Monthly" and "Yearly"
- Click "Save product" button
- On the subsequent view, locate the Pricing section and copy the API Id value. This will start with "price_".
Once you have created the a Product and a Price, enter the Price ID as the Default Plan in the Payment Processor Settings.
Recurring payments accepted through the Donations app will create a Customer in Stripe and a corresponding Subscription for that Customer.
While the Payment Processor Settings accepts a Default Plan, you may also enter a unique Plan for individual Donation app pages.
Ensuring Consistency in Payment Frequency between Soapbox and Stripe
It is important that the Price used by a Donation in Soapbox be set to the same payment frequency as the Recurring Payment Frequency field on the Donation form in Soapbox. In other words, if the Donation form has "Annual" selected as its Recurring Payment Frequency, the Stripe Price used by that form must be set to "Yearly". If the Donation form has "Monthly" selected, the Stripe Price used by the form must be set to "Monthly".
Receiving Notifications of Subsequent Payments in Soapbox
After this has been done, you can create a webhook endpoint in Stripe to ensure that it notifies Soapbox of successful recurring donation transactions.