You may run into a situation where you need to import a batch of Soapbox Donations through CSV files, say if you're migrating from an outside system or dealing with records from your payment processor that did not make it in to Salesforce for some reason. If that number is above 20 or so, you may want to import your donations with a CSV file and data import tool. The approach to do this mimics what happens when a real-time transaction occurs on your Engage site. You can import the donations as Soapbox Donation Leads and Campaign Members, and our trigger will run the same auto-matching lead conversion process, resulting in consistent Contact, Account and Opportunity records.
To do this:
- Prepare your donor data in one spreadsheet to import to Leads. This should include columns for the donor contact information (First Name, Last Name, Email, etc) as well as the payment information (Form of Payment, Donation Payment Amount, Transaction Status, etc). If you're not sure what fields to include here, take a look at an existing Soapbox Donation lead to see what values are filled in and use that as a guide. Note that all data columns must match to existing fields in Salesforce.
- Import this CSV of new leads using your data import tool of choice (Salesforce Lead Import wizard, Data Loader for PCs or Lexi Loader for Macs, dataloader.io or other). TIP: Don't forget to run a small test batch of <5 first!
- Because our triggers don't fire until the Campaign Member record gets created, you will need to do a second import to create the Campaign Member record to match the Lead to a Campaign and trigger our auto-matching & conversion action.
- To start the second step, export the IDs of the Leads you just created (hint: you can do this by creating a report of Leads in Salesforce and limiting the Created Date down to the time you imported).
- Create a Campaign Member CSV spreadsheet for importing that includes the following 3 columns: 1) Lead IDs (from the report you just exported); 2) Campaign ID(s) (for the Salesforce Campaigns that the donation Opportunities should be related to); and 3) a plain text Status value (this is usually "Sent" by default").
- Import your Campaign Member spreadsheet using your tool of choice and confirm that the leads were converted. TIP: Don't forget to try with your small test batch of <5 first just in case anything doesn't work the first time around!
Enjoy the importing power!