In the Events app, you have the ability to create a parent event with required or optional sub-events. This functionality is ideal for use cases such as a conference where an individual must register for the entire event and can then register for additional events within the conference itself.
When a parent event and sub-events are created, the following is true:
- At least one ticket for the parent event must be included in the reservation;
- Any sub-event designated as required by the administrator must have at least one ticket included in the reservation; and
- Only the parent event will be visible in Upcoming Events or Past Events views. Any event included as a sub-event will not be included in these views.
To create a parent event with required or optional sub-events, first, create each event individually in the Events Manager. Once you have done so:
- Open the event you wish to designate as the parent event
- Click the Edit tab
- Go to the Sub-Events section of the page
- Click Add Sub-Event
- In the popup, select an event you wish to include as a Sub-Event
- Click Add
- In the main event edit view, if you wish to make this Sub-Event required, click the red X icon in the Required column to change it from optional to required
- If you wish to add other Sub-Events, click the Add Sub-Event and repeat the process
- If you wish to reorder the Sub-Events after adding them, click the + icon in the Order column and drag the Sub-Event to the order in which you wish it to be display
- Click Save
Current functional limitations
The following are current functional limitations:
- Parent events with sub-events can only be used with the standard event registration process. They are not supported by the Events shopping cart or Events enhanced shopping cart.
- Restrictions to a ticket type based on logged in user status is supported for parent events but not sub-events.
- Confirmation page and confirmation email details show only parent registration details and not sub-event details.